Saturday 11 January 2020

Best wishes for 2020- Another great year to serve

Image may contain: 1 person, suit, closeup and indoor


A warm hello to all clients and readers of this blog.

I hope that you have all managed to at least find some way to end the previous year and not just the previous month.

I have stayed open during this last December for the longest time I remember in this practice's history.

Now- I am at Year 4 if we count only count the full years of myself practicing for own account.

I was glad to have managed to prevent a dear old lady from being evicted from her own home in which she had been living for more than 30 years.

Last year was also the first year in which I have obtained a court order that allows a divorced mother to leave the country with her children without having to obtain the father's consent. To top it all- the order allows her to emigrate. I know of a couple of mothers who would just like to take their children across the border for a vacation...

This year, however, promises to be exciting.

Among the numerous developments in our Law the Uniform Rules of Court has gotten a new rule in terms of which a judgment can now be rescinded in the judgment creditor consents or if the judgment debt and costs are paid up.

What does this mean for you?

Well- just a year ago you were not able to get the judgment for your arrear bond payments removed from your name even when you have paid the full outstanding amount. That reason for rescinding or setting aside a judgment did not exist back then. Now, however, a judgment debt being paid- up and consent by the judgment creditor are grounds on which you can apply to get such judgments set aside.

I look forward to handling a couple of such matters.

In other news I am happy to say that I have learnt that motor vehicle financiers are not as merciless as I have initially thought them to be. I can now invite those of you who are trying to get hold of the bank when you need to make arrangements to accommodate you in your financial distress. Believe me- the result of communicating with the bank before summons is issued is a lot better than that of trying to negotiate after the court has already authorised the removal of your vehicle.

Then- although this is not the last in the list of services that I have to offer for this year- I want to remind businesses that I gladly help them recover debts owed by those entities who seem good at either hiding themselves or their assets. 

With regard to debt collections I have decided to take only 10 percent collector's commission on recovered debt payments rather than giving the client an itemised bill every month if that client gives me 10 or more debtors to handle. Although there may be some cases where I shall choose not to pursue some debtors altogether, mostly to avoid having to incur severe costs, this way of working actually saves the client more money and has a bigger likelihood of letting the client experience money coming in rather than paying more than the amount he is trying to recover.

And- with that- I wish you all a pleasant return to work and a wonderful year ahead.




No comments:

Post a Comment